Monday 15 June 2015

Being a Mum and having time for..well, this.

I just skimmed through an article on Women's Running Magazine about what morning runs are really like for mums and to be honest, I didn't see anything relevant in it. I have to run or exercise in the morning because my 4 year old is in nursery, mornings only, until September when Reception year begins and I gain some more of my day back for me.

So, this is my morning when I exercise. I get up, have to have at least 1 cup of tea to wake up and feel human. I get the kids fed, washed and dressed for school. I get myself into my work-out attire, get the kids into school at about 8.50 and get back to the house for about 9.10am. If all has gone ok in the morning and I have had time, I would have had breakfast, other wise I root round trying to find something high energy and low fat. I get my water, take asthma pumps and start my dvd. I am usually finished by 10.15, then I get an ice pack for 15 mins while i'm recovering. By 10.30 I'm rooting around for something to eat (pref healthy), then I'm in the shower and getting ready to pick my lad up for 11.20.

When I run, I drop the boys off at school, meet Mel outside the school and either run from there or drive elsewhere to run. I am concious of the fact that I have to be back by 11 at the latest so I can have 15 mins with an ice pack on my stupid back, then jump in the shower before I collect my son. It means that, unlike the 'Mom' in the article,  I can't get really long runs into my schedule during the week. This is why I've been running weekends.

I have a structured regime. I know how long I have to complete a task, how quick I can eat and how quick I can shower and dress. It's not relaxing, and if I have an injury I have to factor in time, and so decrease my time exercising/running, to compensate for this.

I am so grateful to get my child back at 11.20 that I really don't mind though. I grab him and hug him tight and feel tears in my eyes as I feel how much I've missed him in those short hours I've been away from him.

Today is the 3rd anniversary of my Mum's death. Sudden and unexpected. It makes me realise how uncertain every day is.

To my Mum, who I miss every day. An old old photo, but my Mum and I.




No comments:

Post a Comment